May 14, 2011

Sad Mom Food: Stuffed Shells

This is something I made a while ago. Some of these are still in the fridge. While I was eating this food I realized that I had stumbled across the way food tastes in all your sad childhood memories: store brand pasta sauce and overcooked baked pasta. Take that grandma, I figured out your secret recipes!
This recipe comes on the back of the shell box. You're welcome:

 Ingredients:
1 pkg. jumbo shells
4 cups ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozz
1/2 cup grated parmesan ("shaker cheese", if you will)
2 eggs
spices ("parsley", salt and pepper, nutmeg (ew don't do that))
pasta sauce
Heat oven to 375. Cook pasta according to package directions.

MEANWHILE (back at the ranch), in a medium bowl, stir together cheeses, eggs, parsley, salt, pepper and nutmeg (don't you dare).
LOOK WHAT I MADE FOR YOU!
Why does everything I make look like vomit?
In a 13 x9 backing dish, spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce. Fill each cooked shell with cheese mixture, layer 1/2 filled shells in prepared dish. Spread more sauce, then more shells, then more sauce. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired. (I used some bread crumbs on top also).
Cover with foil, bake 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Time for some PRO TIPS:
If you want to make this entire recipe but only cook some of it and freeze the rest, proceed thusly:
Cook the pasta and make the filling as directed. Fill the shells. Split the batch into thirds aprox - one third to cook today, and the other two in two separate baggies for freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment